Peer-rated with the highest level of professional excellence, former federal prosecutor Lynette Byrd focuses her practice on white collar criminal defense, Civil Investigative Demands (CIDs), whistleblower cases, government investigations, healthcare litigation, as well as CMS and insurance audits.
Criminal Investigations. Lynette has long served as a white-collar trial lawyer with special focus on healthcare fraud cases. She regularly represents individuals and entities in complex investigations and criminal prosecutions involving the Department of Justice (DOJ), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Inspector General (HHS-OIG), the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), and the Texas Attorney General Medicaid Fraud Control Unit (MFCU).
Litigation & Audits. Merging a profound understanding of healthcare laws with superb litigation skills, Lynette has cleared business owners, medical professionals, physicians, and executives from across the country in government investigations, civil and criminal litigation, and complex audits. Building on her experience as a federal prosecutor with the Department of Justice, Lynette is familiar with arguing and litigating whistleblower and False Claims Act cases, defending anti-kickback allegations, and resolving Medicare Fraud charges. When litigation becomes necessary, clients can rely on Lynette’s substantial litigation background. Both, on behalf of the United States and for her clients in private practice, Lynette has served as first chair and lead trial attorney in federal jury and bench trials, including appellate matters.
DOJ Experience. During her tenure as a federal prosecutor, Lynette represented the United States in whistleblower and False Claims Act cases, kickback investigations, and Medicare fraud cases, among others. In that capacity, Lynette worked with the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), the Office of Inspector General (OIG), the FBI, and various other federal agencies.
Highlighted defense experience:
- Successfully defended clients in federal criminal investigations resulting in no charges
- Successfully defended clients in federal civil investigations resulting in no monetary liability
- Successfully defended physician clients in hearings before the Texas Medical Board resulting in no disciplinary action
- Represented clients successfully at sentencing hearings to secure downward departures from the United States Sentencing Guidelines
- Successfully defended healthcare clients in securing reinstatement to payor programs following termination
- Successfully secured favorable settlement agreements between clients and the Department of Justice
- Successfully achieved favorable rulings from Administrative Law Judges in appeals of CMS overpayment determinations
- Successfully negotiated Memoranda of Agreement/Memoranda of Understanding (MOAs/MOUs) with DEA
- Secured decisions for investigatory case closures from the Texas Attorney General’s Office for the State of Texas
- Routinely defend physicians, dentists, pharmacists, marketers, lab owners and related individuals in healthcare fraud investigations and prosecutions
Click here to contact Lynette directly.